New Mass Translation
The book that contains all of the prayers of and instructions for praying the Mass is called the Roman Missal. The official version of the Roman Missal is written in Latin. In the United States, we use an English translation of the Latin Roman Missal. A new translation from Latin to English has been approved for use and went into effect on Sunday, November 27, 2011. Several of the words and phrases said by the priest and people are changed. Please review the resources and listen to the homilies on this page to learn about the changes.
- FAQs about the new translation (from the USCCB)
- View the Pew Card available in most Churches
- View the changes to the words the priest prays at Mass
- View the changes to the words the people pray at Mass
- The Arlington Diocese webpage about the new translation
- Read Bishop Loverde’s letter about the changes
- Read articles about the whats and whys of the changes
Using a Missal is a great way to fully and actively participate in the Mass. Visit our Gift Shop this weekend to purchase a new Missal!