The practice of requesting a Mass to be offered for loved ones, living or deceased, is a beautiful and meaningful part of our Catholic tradition. In our parish, there are many requests for scheduling such Mass intentions. Our Lady of Hope has only a certain amount of Mass intention opportunities. The following policies are being implemented in order to accommodate the numerous requests in a reasonable and fair manner.
The 2022 Mass book will open April 7, 2021.
Requesting a Mass
- Mass intentions may be requested for Sundays, most holidays, and weekdays throughout the year.
- To ensure consistent and fair opportunity for all desiring an intention for a loved one or event, we can schedule no more than 7 (seven) Masses per year per family.
- No Mass requests will be taken over the telephone or via email. Requests for Mass intentions may be requested in person in the Parish Office or by mail.
- No holds or reservations will be accepted.
- Requests will be honored on a first-come, first-served basis, in the order in which the request and accompanying stipend are received in by the Parish Office. The customary offering in the Diocese of Arlington is $10 (cash or check only).
- Requests will be granted as close to the requested date and time as possible. If you schedule your Mass in person and your preferred date or time is unavailable, the secretary will help you choose a different date. If you submit a request by mail and the date or time you requested is unavailable, the intention will automatically be scheduled for the next available Mass time. The office will notify you of the new date and/or time.
- As a parish, we will make every effort to accommodate a Mass within 30 days of the passing of a loved one, or on/near the anniversary of the first anniversary of a person’s death. One Mass time each week will be kept open so that the recently deceased can be remembered soon after their death.
Changes and Cancellations
- Once an intention has been added to the calendar, requests to change the date/time will not be accepted.
- When public Mass is cancelled due to inclement weather, the Mass intention will be celebrated privately.
- If a Mass is cancelled due to other unforeseen circumstances, the intention for the Mass will be rescheduled on the next available date.
- The pastor reserves the right to reschedule a Mass intention due to unforeseen parish conflicts.
Mass intentions are not accepted for the following days:
- Holy Thursday, Good Friday, Holy Saturday, Easter, or Christmas
- The eight days after Mother’s Day. These intentions will be for the Mother’s Day Novena.
- The eight days after Father’s Day. These intentions will be for the Father’s Day Novena.
- All Souls’ Day (November 2) and the eight days following. These intentions will be for the All Souls’ Novena